weight tracker

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Weight Lifting

A lot of women tend to just focus on the cardio aspect of working out, and neglect the weight lifting part.

A while ago, I read a book recommended by a friend from HS who had succeeded in losing weight and getting all fit (thanks Amy S!).  It's called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women:  Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess."  I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a more structured approach as far as what to do in the gym.  The author, Lou Schuler, also has a book for men, but I have not read it.

It starts off with very logical reasoning about why lifting is important, how it can help you lose, etc.  Then it goes into a nutrition plan, and finally a lifting plan.  I enjoyed this book so much because it JUST MAKES SENSE!  Everything in it is so realistic, not propaganda or trying to get you to buy into some program.

Anywho, I've decided to start back up with the lifting plan in his book.  I've been doing some weight training, but I've been lazy about it and just doing whatever floated my boat on that day.  Now, I'm going to be back on a structured routine.

One of the most important things about lifting is FORM.  I cannot tell you how many times I see people, usually women, who are using weight machines horribly wrong.  They are too embarrassed to ask for help, and if you offer it, they get so frazzled that they usually leave with a flushed face.  They don't realize that they could be injuring themselves.

Have no fear of weights!  Venture into that part of the gym with the grunting men.  Have a plan, and know what you're doing.  Don't know how to use something?  ASK!!!  Just because they are grunting doesn't mean they are angry, I promise!  If you don't want to ask them, ask the gym staff or schedule a session with a trainer who can show you what to do.

In the slightly altered words of Ahnald, I'm going to pump *clap*clap* me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment