weight tracker

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gym Pet Peeve of the Week

I have germ issues.  Not so many that I compulsively wash my hands or anything, but I cringe when I see germy situations.

So, the other night at the gym, I was on my favorite elliptical again (yay!).

Those 2 annoying women from last week were back, although still not exercising- literally- their machines weren't even registering movement.   I listened in this time, it was too entertaining not to!

"Do you think I burned off 400 calories yet?  I only had a Lean Cuisine for lunch, but I also had 2 regular Snapples.  I just love those things!"

I wanted to scream at them!  Get off the machine and let someone else use them!  Go chat about your empty calories over a steaming extra large cup of regular hot cocoa from DD that they were talking about how much they love!  WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

Anyways, I digress.  After they finally decided they were tired of standing still, they left.  This middle-aged man got on the machine next to me.  As he began to workout, he had to pause after a minute because of the whooping cough problem he appears to be having.  COUGHING LIKE CRAZY!  So, cough over, he wipes his hands and face with his towel, and resumes working out.  Okay, maybe he just swallowed his spit down the wrong pipe or something, give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

1 minute later, HACKING UP A LUNG!!!  I can hear the phlegm trying to escape his lungs!!!  Cough attack over, little towel wiping action, and back we go.

After about 4 times, he finally quits.

Then he just walks away from the machine WITHOUT SPRAYING IT DOWN.  Our gym, like most, provides spray bottles with sanitizing solution and paper towels.  A good gym member is supposed to wipe down the machines after using them so I don't have to touch your sweat or germs.  Not this guy.  He just walks away.  Luckily, no one went to that machine, and when I was finished, I cleaned both so no one else catches the plague from this guy.

The worst part?  I assumed that he was going to leave since he was obviously having breathing issues.  But no.  He was working his way around the weight machines and free weights, coughing away and using that same towel that needs to be quarantined by this point.

I need to go wash my hands now...

No comments:

Post a Comment