weight tracker

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wait... I eat that much in one day?!?!?

I know you've all heard it and read it a million places before, but it's true!


One of the biggest techniques that has been helping me lose weight is keeping track of everything I eat.  WW has a great online tracker that I can access on my phone.  I always put in the foods BEFORE I eat them, and that keeps me from unintentionally sabotaging myself by eating way too much of something.  It also makes me very aware of what I'm putting in my body.


Even before I started WW, whenever I used some method of tracking what I put into my body, I've been successful.  I've used apps for both the iPod touch and my Evo that track calories, and both made me hold myself accountable for what I eat.  


Tracking also makes me feel better about enjoying something I really want.  I figure out a portion that fits into my plan for the day without depriving myself totally or overdoing it.


If you are trying to lose weight or just to eat right, start writing down what you eat.  You don't have to include nutritional info if you're not worried about it, just keep yourself mindful of what you are consuming.  You'll realize just how many times you mindlessly eat throughout the day.  


I have to admit, I've kind of gone overboard with the tracking thing, but it really helps me!  I measure out everything at my house before I eat it.  I look up restaurant menus before going out and figure out exactly what I'm having and how many points it will be (P.S.- why don't all restaurants have their menus online?  Most do, but too many still don't!  I'll rant about that in another post).  I plan the whole day around a meal out.  It may be compulsive, but it's working!  I constantly force my husband to track his foods because it bothers me when he hasn't tracked for a whole week (but he has like a gazillion points and just eats the same things over and over again!).  


And, if you're like my husband and I, you'll send each other messages and pics of foods you would love to eat except that the disturbing nutritional information makes you physically ill!  Like a slice of fettucini alfredo pizza (is there really a need for all of that?  Have pasta or pizza, not both!  The 2 pieces of broccoli in there does not make it any better!) or a meal consisting of multiple buckets, yes, buckets, of fried chicken that a single person is consuming in one sitting (I like my fried chicken, but not by the bucket full!).  


Try it for one week, or even just one day.  I dare you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment