weight tracker

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Must...stay...away...from.......

TAKEOUT!!!  


My busy schedule is catching up to me, and I've been coming home between 8 and 9 at night.  Eating dinner at that time sucks enough, but cooking then eating dinner makes it even worse.  I'm allowing myself to pick up dinner somewhere on the way home just once a week.  It's never as healthy as I would eat at home, and it's expensive!


Monday was a very rough day, so takeout it was!  Enter Tuesday.  A better day overall, but still very long.  Takeout was calling my name!  My wallet and my stomach didn't really want it though, so I decided to go home and figure out something fast!  I also had 20 points left for the day (I didn't eat much because I was busy), so that was another issue.  I don't want to eat anything heavy or mass quantities that late at night.


So, off I go to scour the pantry and the fridge for a satisfying lower quantity-higher points dinner that would be ready quickly with little effort.  Enter soup and salad.  Now, when most people hear soup and salad, they don't exactly think of filling or dinner.  If you have the right soup and salad, it can seem just as hearty as a full meal.


I started boiling some water, put in 2 oz. of whole wheat rotini.  As that's cooking away, I start getting together my gorgonzola salad.  It's my favorite, but it's high in points as far as salads are concerned, so I rarely make it.  It's made up of spring mix, 1 oz. gorgonzola cheese (never buy the pre-crumbled!  Not only is it more expensive, it has no flavor compared to buying a good wedge and crumbling it yourself!), 1/8 cup Craisins, and your favorite light raspberry vinaigrette.  Deliciousness in a bowl, and it adds up to 6 Points+ (depending on your dressing).  If you want to add more points to it, throw in some almonds!


By this time, the pasta was done cooking.  I drained it, and added 2 cups of Trader Joe's creamy tomato soup.  Heat that up, and viola!  The soup with the pasta comes to 10 Points+, and it's so satisfying!  The soup and salad did the job, but didn't leave me feeling overly full (as takeout usually does!).  


What is your favorite soup/salad to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment