weight tracker

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

I love baked potato soup.  I also make a very delicious one that's often requested at work.  Sadly, it's packed with things that are bad for you.  


I've been browsing around Gina's Skinny Recipes and decided to make this recipe as my first try from her website.  I slightly tweaked the ingredients and recipe as follows:


2 potatoes (about 400 grams for calculating purposes)
1 large head cauliflower (0 points, so the bigger, the better!)
1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup light sour cream
10 tbsp reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
6 tbsp chives, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


Wash and pierce potatoes, microwave until soft.  Meanwhile, chop cauliflower and steam until soft.  Drain, return cauliflower to the pot.  Peel potatoes, add them to the pot.  Add broth and milk, bring to a boil.  Use an immersion blender to achieve desired consistency ( I like mine smooth, you might like it chunky).  Add remainder of ingredients, turn heat to low, and stir until well incorporated.  


While it's not as delicious as my fat-filled version, it's pretty darn good!  I was surprised at how creamy it is, and how the cauliflower blends in perfectly- you don't even know it's in there!


A serving of about 1 1/2 cups is 4 Points+!  I left out the bacon in the original recipe because I don't like how it turns chewy in soup, and the skim milk instead of the 1% didn't bother me.  If you add both, a cup would be 5 Points+, still a bargain for a very yummy soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment