weight tracker

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 6 Weigh In

Current Weight: 206.4 lbs

Weekly Loss: 1.2 lbs           Total Loss: 15.6 lbs





I'm still going strong.  I was afraid that I would start off doing everything as best I could but then get lazy after a few weeks.  I've been impressing myself, preparing meals ahead as much as I can.

I've also been working out more than I ever have.  I try to get to the gym 5-7 days a week.  Now, don't be alarmed, I don't do full workouts everyday.  I would say that 3-4 times a week I get in a great gym day with a good cardio session as well as a lifting session.  Other days might be a yoga class (there's a post coming about my AWESOME yoga class).  On a day when I'm feeling really tired, I try to still go and get on the elliptical for 20 minutes.  It's 20 minutes more than nothing, right?

My biggest frustration at this point is my own limitation.  I tore my ACL a few years ago, and they re-attached it, but it didn't heal correctly.  I'd say it's about 85% normal, and that 15% is critical!  I can't really do anything with impact, thus the elliptical is my best friend as far as a cardio machine.  It's really been holding up well to the exercise, until...

ZUMBA!  Now, I LOVED Zumba.  It was such a fun class, I went twice, got such a great workout and had a blast.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize until it was too late that all of the twisting would not agree with my knee and ACL.  So, despite taking time off from working out to let my ACL calm down, it's still irritated.  It tires out much more quickly than usual, and I'm icing it daily since.  It doesn't hurt, but I can feel the joint being all "thick" from swelling.

I'm going to go back to my doctor to see if there's anything I can do besides get ACL replacement surgery.  I'm not ready to be out of commission for any great length of time.  My repair put me in physical therapy for a year, and I just can't do that right now.  Hopefully time, working on my supporting muscles and maybe a new brace will help my ACL deal with my life.

So, no more Zumba for me.  Now I know.  I'm doing my best to keep on exercising while not going to hard to avoid irritating it any more than it already is.  So far, so good.  Thank goodness for ice machines (and ice in the nurses office at work!).

3 comments:

  1. Looking great, Ali! I give you sooooo much credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I had to have ACL replacement right when I graduated college--I had a cadaver graft--I was in an immobilizer for a week but was able to walk, use the elliptical etc after that with minimal PT...I hope they can do something for you!! Keep up the AWESOME work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cass! That's what I would need. It sounds like the recovery you had was the same as mine when they reattached it. It was such a time commitment and so frustrating that I'm not ready to do it again right now. Eventually, I will have it done, but not in the middle of everything else finally going right- haha!

    ReplyDelete