weight tracker

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Gym Pet Peeve of the Week

Ever since I was little, I have issues with the sounds some people make when they chew (my mom can attest to this firsthand).  It's more than just chewing with an open mouth.  Some jaws click, others do other things, and it all sounds like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

I can't deal.

So, I get to the gym.  My favorite elliptical is open (the only one in the gym where you can adjust both the incline and the resistance that has moveable arm bars).  Hooray!

I get over as fast as I can, claim it with my water bottle and iPod, then go stretch.  So far, so good!

I get on, start my workout, enjoying my latest episode of Dexter (I'm only on Season 2, so don't spoil anything for me!), when I hear it!

The unmistakable sound of someone popping their gum.

I glance around for suspects.  Sure enough, it's the 40-something next to me chatting away like a 13-year-old to her BFFL while cracking her gum.

I'M FREAKING OUT NOW!!!

Okay, I'll just make the volume higher!  That'll mask the noise!

No luck for me.

Now, aside from my irrational noise reaction, how do people chew gum while working out?  Wouldn't that interfere with proper breathing?  Is the gym just another place to catch up on gossip while pretending to do something physical?  I think I would either swallow a piece of gum, or it would come out as a projectile missile and hit someone in the head!

In an attempt to begin to get over this noise issue, I just try to not notice it and eventually she leaves.

My life can now go on as planned.   Phew!

Does anyone else have a pet peeve that drives them insane at the gym?

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely lol I hate noises that people make with their mouth, and people that just go to the gym to catch up on gossip instead of working out. Then they sit on the machines and talk...which makes me have to wait to go on it!!

    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete