weight tracker

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tilapia with Broccoli Mac and Cheese

I still need to work on neatly getting my fish out of the pan.


I'm lucky to have a great fish store right by the house on my way home, so I have access to fresh products. One of my favorite fish is tilapia.  It has a clean, light taste that goes well with so many different flavors that it never gets boring.

This dinner can be made in about 15-20 minutes total, which is all I'm ever willing to spend when I get home at 7:30 and want to eat dinner without resorting to fast-food or take-out.  It's all about getting everything going at the right time!

Most of my recipes are for a single person, so keep that in mind if you are feeding more than one.

Ingredients:
1 tilapia fillet, about 8oz.
Spices of choice- I love blackened seasoning
2oz. uncooked whole wheat rotini
Large (12oz.) bag Green Giant Broccoli and Cheese Steamers
2 wedges Laughing Cow Lite Original Swiss Cheese

Now, when I first measured out the pasta, I was underwhelmed to say the least:
That's it?!?!
Do not fear!  You will be completely satisfied!

Boil salted water in a small pot for the pasta.

While the water is heating, take the tilapia out of the fridge to bring up the temperature.

As soon as the water boils, put in the pasta.  Place the bag of veggies in the microwave for 6-7 minutes.

Heat a pan sprayed with non-stick spray over medium-high heat.  Season tilapia and place in the pan once it's nice and hot.


Flip tilapia after 3-4 minutes.  Also check the pasta for doneness.  If timed right, the pasta will be done when the veggies are done and the fish needs to be flipped.


Drain pasta and return to pot.  Add contents of steamer bag and the 2 wedges of cheese.  Cook over low heat, stirring, until the cheese wedges melt.
Mmmmm


Fish will flake when done, it might need one or two more flips if it's on the thick side.

Serve pasta and fish immediately.
I love this dinner!  Enjoy!


As a side note, the steamer bags and cheese wedges are always stocked in my house.

The veggies are great without the pasta, and you'll find so many uses for the cheese.  I am also fond of the Mozzarella, Sun-dried Tomato Basil flavor as well as the Queso Fresco Chipolte.  Recipes using those to come.

1 comment:

  1. Now we're talking!
    Great plates too! :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete