weight tracker

Monday, June 27, 2011

Lychee

It's finally here!  Lychee season!
I'm betting that most of you have no clue what I'm talking about.  Lychee's (or litchi's) are a fruit native to China.  It looks scary, but it's absolutely delicious and very hard to find!
My first lychee experience took place in our favorite Thai restaurant- Tiny Thai- in Farmingdale.  They have a tropical red curry, and these weird looking white things were in it.  They tasted amazing, and the lovely owner told me what they were.  I can't really describe their taste- they are sweet with a firm texture, but they are so much more than that!  You really have to try them!


Ever since then, I've been on the hunt for lychees.  I could only ever find canned lychees, which were okay, but not exactly what I wanted.  I wanted fresh.  The canned fruit was usable for cooking and also for lychee martinis.


Last summer, while shopping in Best Yet, I was browsing the produce department and had to do a double take!  Are those containers of lychees?  Can it be?  YES!!!!  FRESH LYCHEES!!!  I bought as many containers as they had.  This year, last week, lychees were finally back.  I know they won't be there for long, so I buy as many as they have!


How does one eat a lychee?  First, you need to peel off the skin.  It's like a thin paper, so don't use a peeler, just use your fingers.
Then, you can nibble the fruit off of the seed in the center.  Don't just pop it in your mouth and chew, you'll be in for a not-so-pleasant surprise when you crack your tooth on the seed.
If you see lychees in your grocery store, buy them.  If you like fruit, you'll love the unique texture and taste!
Lychee Leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ali, You can also freeze them if you wanted to buy more. My boyfriend and his family buys them from the city when they visit family. There are usually there year round :) ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I'll give that a try!

    ReplyDelete