weight tracker

Friday, August 9, 2013

Huevos Rancheros

I will start off by saying I've never had huevos rancheros before, so I don't know how authentic this recipe is.  I can tell you that it's delicious!!!

I often get in a breakfast rut, having yogurt, oatmeal or a shake.  Sometimes I want something different, and this was perfect!

The recipe below is for a single serving, multiply as needed.  Each serving has 247 cals, 24g carbs, 8g fat and 14g protein.

Ingredients
1/4 white onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1-2 tbsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers in sauce, start with 1 and adjust depending on how much spice you like- I like mine spicy so I added 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
Pinch black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1 egg
1 corn tortilla (I used a Mission extra thin yellow corn tortilla, one has 40 cals)
2 tbsp reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
olive oil spray

Spray pan and place over medium heat.  Add onions and sauté until softened and beginning to brown.  Add tomatoes, adobo sauce, salt, pepper and cumin.  Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, spray each side of the tortilla with olive oil spray.  Heat a pan over medium heat.  Place tortilla in pan, heat each side until it begins to form bubbles and brown.  Be careful not to burn!  Remove from pan.  

Spray pan , continue to use medium heat, and crack egg in.  I like to cover my pan with foil so that the whites set without overcooking the yolk.  Cook until desired doneness, I like mine yolky!
Plate tortilla, then egg.  Cover with sauce, and sprinkle cheese over top.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment