weight tracker

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bai Bai Bai

I've been very curious about this new beverage that seemed to be popping up everywhere called Bai 5.  The flavors look so enticing!  
And I start singing *N Sync whenever I say the name!
I was having a craving for something coconut the other week, so I grabbed a bottle of their Bai 5 Molokai Coconut flavored drink.  And then I was hooked!  
I haven't tried them all, but so far my favorite flavors are the 
Bai 5 Molokai Coconut, Ipanema Pomegranate and Malawi Mango.  
The Bai 5 drinks have about 10 calories in a bottle.

I decided to look more into the product and ingredients before posting here, because, as we have seen lately, what might appear healthy on the surface rarely is under the microscope.

GOOD NEWS!!!  It appears that they are actually telling the truth about their product!  Unheard of!  First off, I can pronounce and know what the vast majority of the ingredients are.  The only one I wasn't familiar with was erythritol (labeled as a natural sweetener).  After reading a few articles about it, it's a sugar alcohol that has almost no effect on the body.  That being said, if you are avoiding "fake" sugars, etc, this would be the only downside about this product.  

Bai 5 drinks are gluten free, GMO free, soy free, and besides tasting yummy, they are also packed with antioxidants derived from coffee fruit (the flesh around coffee beans).

I have been making a habit of bringing a bottle with me to the gym.  I find it very refreshing, and hopefully the antioxidant component is having some sort of positive effect as well.

The downside?  Price.  It sells online for almost $3 a bottle (when you buy a 12 bottle case).  I was lucky enough to find it in my favorite grocery store for $2.19 a bottle, still steep, but not bad when I keep it to a workout beverage.  

Bottom line:  It's tasty and low calorie, so don't be afraid to try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment