weight tracker

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Black Beans with Rice

This blog really helps me with my recipes.  I'm infamous for not measuring anything, and then I can never re-create anything!  

I've been eating way too much meat the past few days.  We had to cook up all of the meat from our freezer in the garage since it tripped during the flooding from the hurricane.  I need at least a few days without consuming any meat, so I always turn to beans as a filling protein source.  This recipe came out so good, it's going to be perfect to bring to school for lunch.  You could also use it to fill a burrito.  It's also great since it takes about 15 minutes to make, and most of the ingredients are already in your pantry (well, at least in my pantry!).
The recipe below makes 4 servings with 8 Points+ each.

Ingredients:
1 Batch Cilantro Lime Rice (www.skinnytaste.com)- I left out the cilantro because I can't stand the taste
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can diced tomatoes and chiles, slightly drained
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tbsp Wondra Flour

Instructions:
Get the rice cooking.

In another pot, combine all remaining ingredients except the Wondra.  Cook over high heat until it is bubbling, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer.  Sprinkle Wondra over mixture and stir in, simmering for another 5 minutes or until it thickens to desired consistency.

Serve 1/4 of the bean mixture over 1/4 of the rice (about a 1/2 cup of each).

I can't wait to make more of this to keep on hand for meals during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment