weight tracker

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beets...2 Dishes in One!

So, a while back I took on beets, and ended up loving them!

I knew I was limited in my beet knowledge, because all I ever did was boil them and put them on salads.

The other day, while at a local farm stand, I saw bunches of golden beets, and knew they had to be mine!  I bought one bunch, greens and all, and headed home.  I always knew you could eat beet greens, but this was something I never experimented with.

Behold...Roasted Beets AND Sauteed Beet Greens.  You can get 2 side dishes out of one vegetable, and it won't cost much!  I paid $1.50 for one bunch of golden beets.  That gave me one large serving of roasted beets and about 3 servings of the greens.  If you can't find golden beets, red beets would taste good as well.
Roasted Beets- 2 Points+ for whole recipe
1 bunch beets, greens removed (set aside)
2 tsp Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Wash beets well and chop into large chunks.  Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place in a baking dish and bake until soft (depends on the size of your beets).  Every 10 minutes or so, toss beets around so all sides get nice and caramelized.

Sauteed Beet Greens- Makes 3 servings, 1 Point+ each
1 bunch beet greens
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Wash greens thoroughly (they are full of sand, much like spinach) and dry well.  Chop into inch long pieces.

Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add onions.  Once they turn translucent, add garlic and continue to sauté.  Just as the garlic starts to brown, add the greens and continue to cook, seasoning with salt and pepper.  Greens should be tender in about 5 minutes, you want them wilted but not mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment