weight tracker

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

I haven't been home much, and I have been really sad at my lack of eating food that I've cooked.  So, the other day, I ran to the grocery store in between my million things, grabbed what looked good, and threw together the following meal.  Luckily, it came out really good!  You can buy the chicken with skin and bones and prep it yourself, but I didn't have the time to do that, so I spent more money for the convenience.  Also, feel free to substitute any "cream of" soups for the ones below.  1/4 of the chicken mixture has 6 points, and one biscuit has 5.  This is the ultimate throw together meal.
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can "healthy" condensed cream of mushroom soup (I used Campbell's Heathy Request)
1 can "healthy" condensed cream of celery soup (same as above)
1 box frozen peas and carrots
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can Pillsbury reduced fat biscuits (or any other brand)


Directions:
Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and mix well(I used my old, trusty Crockpot since it would be on all day while I wasn't home).  Cook on "low" for 6-8 hours, until chicken is cooked.  Stir and season with S&P if needed.


For the dumpling part, open can of biscuits and arrange on top of mixture.  Cook for another 2 hours until biscuits are done.  
Even with all of this cooking, the chicken still stays moist and tender.  If you use chicken breast, it WILL dry out, so make sure to use the thighs if you make this recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment